WHEREAS Canadians support all components of the Canada Health Act in implementing a quality healthcare system;
WHEREAS de-listing and shifting delivery of healthcare services out of hospitals and from non-profit agencies to for-profit organizations/suppliers have led to downloading of costs to patients, unequal access, and increasing reliance on private for-profit insurers;
WHEREAS studies show that increased reliance on corporate for-profit delivery and for-profit healthcare insurance is more costly, may provide less quality care, and will undermine sustainability, quality and comprehensiveness of our public health system;
WHEREAS privatization results in loss of public transparency and control;
BE IT RESOLVED that the Liberal Party of Canada urge the Government of Canada to:
1. Prohibit or limit direct and indirect public subsidies of private corporate ventures related to healthcare payment and delivery.
2. Implement enhanced universal coverage and publicly controlled non-profit delivery of new substitutes for short and long-term hospital and physician care.
3. Ensure universal coverage of pharmaceutical supplies and ambulance services; expand coverage for medically necessary vision and dental care.
4. Facilitate timely implementation of Romanow recommendations.
5. Increase regulation, oversight and consumer protection related to private for-profit healthcare insurance products.
6. Research and implement social policies on issues that have significant negative impact on health and wellness such as poverty, preventable injury, food insecurity and inadequate access to education and information.
Senior Liberals’ Commission